Cabinets of Curiosities:
How Disability was kept in a box
Mr. Wilson’s Cabinet of Wonder is a work that explores the meanings that we attach to museums and the objects that make them up. In this book, Lawrence Weschler explores the fascinating place that is Los Angeles’s Museum of Jurassic Technology, which has been described in magazines like Smithsonian Magazine as having a “sense of familiarity – provided by the careful presentation, the informative text, the low lighting, the thrill of discovery – yet there’s something wholly different there… It is comforting and unsettling at the same time.” This strange museum is a source of wonder and puzzlement, as one simultaneously is induced to what I felt was irrational interest in exhibits such as a horn of a woman named Mary Davis. The rational part of my mind, however, said that this was a hoax, and the more I read in Mr. Wilson’s Cabinet of Wonder I was sure that this work was supposed to be a caution against trusting any old museum and the need for strong academic review of objects. But as time went on, I realized it was in many ways the opposite.
Instead of a caution
against small museums and the necessity of academic review, what Weschler
manages to capture about the Museum of Jurassic Technology is its dual nature
of strangeness and wonder, its dual nature of careful labeling and tentative grasp of facts, and its dual nature of both being serious and absurd. Coming out of
the book, it seemed like it would be important to try and re-evaluate what I
value in a museum.
Looking around on various small museum websites, I stumbled across an exhibition that took place
last year in the United Kingdom created through a program called “Stories of
Different Kind” through the Research Centre for Museums & Galleries and
various museums in the United Kingdom and even the Smithsonian in the United
States. Entitled “Cabinet of Curiosities: How Disability was kept in a box,”
this exhibit was presented by Mat Fraser, an actor, artist, and activist for
disability rights and related causes.
Fraser and his colleagues
used their access to numerous collections at various museums to try and create
a new narrative on how disability is perceived by the general public as well as
how it is portrayed in museums. Mat Fraser himself is the personification of
the type of change sought by this effort, a man born with Phocomelia, a very
rare birth defect which affects the formation of limbs, which in Fraser’s case
affected the growth and length of his arms. However, Fraser is the sort of
militant personality that has turned him into an activist and force for the
voice of people with so-called disabilities. As he says in his presentation,
the way in which people view people with disabilities, and the way in which
museums present disabilities and disability history comes down to a few ways, two
of which Fraser finds rather offensive and demeaning. The first kind which he
calls the medical model of disability presents people with disabilities as
objects of pity and in a medical sense objects that need to be fixed and made
normal. The second which he calls the charity model of disability is that any
disabled person is in need of charity and that disabled people are represented
as brave and admirable solely because they live with their disabilities. Instead
he prefers a social model where things like equal access are emphasized such as
wheel chair ramps, and more importantly equal representation in both the
workplace and in the media. For example, Fraser notes that in an exhibit on
education he’d like to see a man with one arm as the teacher, something that
one doesn’t see almost ever today. Most of all, he wants disabled people to be treated as whole people, not people with something wrong with them.
Fraser’s
presentation takes items from various collections, and then he comments on the
labels attached to the items or their history, often with humor and sarcasm.
Many items feature personal narratives of disabled people and their experiences.
Notably Fraser intersperses his presentation of items with ear piercing rock
music and even a rap, giving his presentation a kind of unorthodox yet
appealing kind of air. Fraser was able to convey his anger and frustration with
the state of the understanding of disability in our society, yet he was also
able to bring humor and hope for the future. Like the Museum of Jurassic
Technology, Fraser seems to encourage questioning of museums and their objects.
In an interview, he states that “I was always taught to question what I was
told… what else is in the story of this artifact what I am being shown… all
these questions open up.”
Both Fraser and Mr. Wilson’s Cabinet of Wonder got me
thinking about the museum we recently attended, the Museum of disAbility History,
and how it portrays the many artifacts and tells the narrative of disabled
peoples. Looking back with the mindset of Fraser, to me at least, it seems that
the actual voice of the disabled people themselves was not heard in the
exhibits of the museum. There was many wonderful tools used by disabled peoples,
boards telling the history of doctors and hospitals, and examples of media portrayal
of people with disabilities, but I can’t recall very many times in which the
words of the disabled people were heard on how they felt that they were being
treated. Their views on their own disabilities, their surroundings, their media
portrayals, these were all absent. And thinking about the Weschler book, I can’t
help but feel a there was a lack of wonder invoked by many of the exhibits.
While they were interesting and well presented, to me at least it seemed very
straightforward and scientific in a way, and lacked any sense of intrigue.
Perhaps it is just me, and it probably is for the best that their exhibits be
careful with a delicate topic like disability, but one wonders if there could
be a way to apply some of the lessons of Mr. Wilson’s Cabinet of Wonder to such
a museum.
I’ll leave you with
two videos of the Cabinet of Curiosities presentation. The first is a short 3 minute clip from one of
the presentations, while the other is just over an hour long and is the entire
presentation. I encourage you if you have the time to watch the entire thing,
but between the interview and the short clip I think the gist of the
presentation is fairly well represented. I hope that I have brought some of the ideas of Mr. Wilson's Cabinet of Wonder and the more general way in which objects are presented to the surface and change the way in which we approach narrative in a museum setting.
Don't worry, the audio starts back up around 1:15 in.
The second video I have been unable to find an easy way to get at on any video hosting site, so just go to this article and scroll halfway down, and watch it here.

I think Fraser presents a couple of very good points. The first is the way he feels people with disabilities are typically viewed. He say that they are either looked at as something that needs to be fixed or that they should be viewed as brave because they live with disabilities. I think he may have a good idea in that perhaps people with disabilities should be more prevalent in media.
ReplyDeleteI've always found the charity model of portraying people with disabilities extremely frustrating and I'm glad you touched on it. Even in public exhibits meant to showcase them, there always seems to be this narrative of "if these people can do it then so can you", as if they're little more than inspirational stories meant to serve the larger, able-bodied population. I think that responsible curating of museums like the Museum of disAbility History is one of the best ways to tackle what can often be the 2-dimensional portrayal of the disabled.
ReplyDeleteFraser was on American Horror Story "Freakshow" which like, Mr. Wilsons Cabinet of wonder made me think of the legitimacy of things being presented. In the case of Mr. Wilsons museum, it seems as if its just a bunch of random stuff that all in all is just supposed to have shock value, and be different, but like you wrote Brian I too changed my mind on this theory the more I read. Wilson seemed to be a very dedicated man, he ran this little museum all on his own at no charge, what profit would he make from lying? As for AHS, the show was centered on a circus freak show which involved characters that in real life weren’t at all freaks but disabled. The show did a great job of addressing this and showed how disabled actors, singers and various other performers made a living and gained fame through shows of this sort.
ReplyDeleteOf all my thoughts of our recent visit to the Museum of disABILITY History, I have to say that I had not considered your point about the lack of actual disabled people’s perspective in it. There was lots of information about them and about people and places that were involved with them, but very little from them. I think the only real instance is that brief mention of the women who was on the Wheaties box. Everything else was about society’s attitude towards the disabled or this physician or that institution that worked with them. There was a definite focus on the medical and charity models than the social ones, though some leeway can probably be given simply due to the resources available. Regardless, there could have certainly been more rapping and ear piercing rock.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your argument that the museum of disability lacked the wonder that was present in Mr. Wilson's Cabinet of Curiosities. While the exhibit was interesting, it was not mind-blowing; in fact I would have difficulty naming a museum exhibit that is. I liked the fact that the museum of Jurassic Technology involved the public by making them question what they were seeing and therefore go home and do some of their own research. I believe that this should be the goal of every museum. Great post!
ReplyDeleteBut wouldn't it be in some way problematic to treat people with disabilities as objects of wonder and amazement? Wouldn't they resent being gawked at? There's a thin line between "wonder" and voyeurism.
DeleteGreat use of media in your post Brian! I like what Fraser does to get those with disabilities more involved with their history, while changing how they are persevered in history, as it is a touchy subject, even more so today. Often the use of comedy and sarcasm can make light of things on difficult subjects or matters. I do agree with you about the trip to the museum as I often wondered how those with disabilities felt about being studied or gawked at. I still enjoyed the trip and the exhibits they had at the museum, especially the car and WWII propaganda posters.
ReplyDeleteLastly, Matt found an article that I though I would share with everyone about the Museum of DisABILITY.
http://buffalorising.com/2015/09/celebrities-rally-behind-buffalos-museum-of-disability-history/
I love the gif and videos used in your post! I completely agree with the arguments being made by Fraser. Having taken many classes about special education and teaching students with disabilities it is always stressed to discuss disabilities in a "person-first" sense, which shows that someone is not defined by their disability. Throughout the Museum of disAbility I found it lacking in this person-first mentality. The voice of those whose first hand experience would have been the most enlightening was completely absent from the displays and artifacts. In connection to Mr. Wilson's Cabinet of Wonders, I felt a similar way to you when I was first reading it, namely because I had no idea what I was reading and therefore felt a little skeptical. But after finishing it and also reading your blog post I now see that it is asking us to question what we are presented and to seek out knowledge even if it comes from unsettling sources.
ReplyDeleteWhile reading Mr. Wilson's Cabinet I found myself wondering, as you did, where to draw a line between fact and fiction. As amusing as the Jurassic Tech. Museum was there was no semblance of order or justification of its objects, yet perhaps it is not the job of such a museum to uphold the tradition of museums. At the same time many of the artifacts are fictitious or not properly labeled. This was upsetting until I read you post. Fraser states that questioning is a duty and that is exactly what the Jurassic Museum does. It presents artifacts that beg the viewer to question what they are seeing. Perhaps we have become too comfortable with the fact-driven traditional museums and take everything as fact. Fraser asks us to question the facts and think about what the museum/exhibits are not explaining. Exactly what the Jurassic Museum is attempting to do.
ReplyDeleteAt first I also had a hard time believing that Mr. Wilson's Cabinet was a work of nonfiction because it seemed almost too good to be true.
ReplyDeleteYou bring up a good point when you say the voice of disable people was not heard in exhibits at the Museum of disAbility History. It would be interesting to see if the museum could some how have the voice of the disable as a part of their exhibits, not as a type of wonderment but as a piece of history. This would allow the public to see first hand the experience and life, or even stories of what it is like to live with a disability.
At first I also had a hard time believing that Mr. Wilson's Cabinet was a work of nonfiction because it seemed almost too good to be true.
ReplyDeleteYou bring up a good point when you say the voice of disable people was not heard in exhibits at the Museum of disAbility History. It would be interesting to see if the museum could some how have the voice of the disable as a part of their exhibits, not as a type of wonderment but as a piece of history. This would allow the public to see first hand the experience and life, or even stories of what it is like to live with a disability.
Great job of tying our recent class activities and books into a blog post. I agree with what your assessment about the exhibits in the Museum of DisAbility History, they do seem to lack a sense of "wonder", and it would have been interesting to her the voices of the people the museum celebrates. I think we need more museums like the MJT, they are more thought provoking than the average museum exhibit.
ReplyDelete