Alexander Hamilton – Revolutionary
soldier, Federalist, Founding Father, first Treasury Secretary, and…Broadway
star? Browsing the recent headlines on
Al Jazeera America, under the US section, I stumbled across a video entitled simply
“Appreciating Alexander Hamilton.” Recognizing
of course one of the more famous names of the early American Republic I took
pause to watch the brief story. However,
it was not the headline as much as the descriptor that caught my attention –
“One of the founding fathers of the US and architect in the monetary system is
honored with a Broadway play.” Following
on the heels of the Treasury’s decision to remove Hamilton from the 10-dollar
bill, this musical drama emphasizes not only the story of a pertinent figure in
American national history, but delivers the content to the public in a manner
profoundly different from written texts.
How exactly does a Broadway musical
about a Founding Father have any connection to the expansive category of public
American history? Certainly one imagines
first museums or library exhibits, historical sites and tours when discussing
public history, or in the case of a renowned Revolutionary figure, letters,
papers, or documents such as the Federalist Papers come to mind. But a musical? Certainly not. I would argue, however, that given the
popularity of Broadway and its prominence within the American cultural niche
redefining art and music, “Hamilton” most certainly falls under the category as
a use of history in American life. I
would like to briefly discuss here the book The
Presence of the Past: Popular Uses of History in American Life, by
Rosenzweig and Thelen, and how “Hamilton” meshes within the scope and content
of the book’s argument: how Americans are active users and participants in
history, and how the past influence their social and cultural values in daily
life.
The intention behind producing The Presence of the Past was for
historians to ascertain how the history profession could hope to connect with
larger audiences. To do so would require
examining how those people, those outside the circle of professional
historians, understood and used the past in order to build those connections. The authors and associate researchers
followed the methodology characteristic of social historians – with a viewing
lens of “the bottom up” – surveying a portion of the general American populace
to extract the patterns and values behind what they deemed “popular
historymaking”. Participants were asked
questions and to provide values based on four parameters: participation in
activities related to the past, trustworthiness of sources of information about
the past, connectedness to the past, and most important pasts.
Perhaps the most constant pattern throughout the book
was that “almost every American deeply engages the past, and the past that
engages them most deeply is that of their family” (p. 22). While familial history or ties is a prominent
pattern, Americans also sought out histories under the influence of other
external sources, such as movies, books, journals, or a desire to collect and
preserve. This produced a spectrum of
how people deem the trustworthiness of various historical sources; this
spectrum also connected with personal interest to a degree, with museums and
historical sites ranking among the top while surprisingly high school history
classes tended to be less trustworthy and perhaps the least interesting. The concluding chapters explored the ways in
which individuals (in this case, samples from Euro-Americans, African
Americans, Mexican Americans, and American Indians) bridge the gaps between
personals pasts and larger historical narratives rooted predominantly in
cultural and political demographics. A
trait of social history I personally appreciate is the ability to portray the
primary perspective from a primary source, for example how the authors
skillfully depicted the “borderland” of Mexican America with the testimonials of
Mexican American respondents. Broadly
speaking, the past is present in most, if not all, American lives. How
that past is made present all dependent upon external influences, internal
desires, social behaviors and cultural patterns, and an increased desire to
remove that sense of self-inflicted historical amnesia plaguing professionals
today.
At this point I am sure you’re probably thinking what
that brief synopsis of a survey test has anything to do with acting, a stage
set, rap battles, and a Revolutionary backdrop set to hip-hop. Not only did the limited footage depict a
colorful and talented musical production, but also, however briefly, spoke to
the life and legacy of a real-life national icon and his impact on the American
present. The story, about
four-and-a-half minutes long, may be found here: http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/inside-story/2015/9/appreciating-alexander-hamilton.html. Joseph M. Adelman, writing for “The Junto: A
Group Blog on Early American History”, states that the hip-hop style production
of Hamilton: An American Musical by
Lin-Manuel Miranda is interesting in how it acts as a “vessel for conveying history
to the general public”. Additionally, it
draws on artistic license to provide an argument about Hamilton’s perspective
over the course of his most notable life events.
Adelman expresses great praise at Miranda’s ability to
portray accurate historical detail and
approach the truth of a subject in a manner inaccessible to historians. The confrontations between Hamilton and
Jefferson were represented as a series of rap battles, as a way “to convey a
really complicated argument in a way that’s easily immediately accessible” and
connects with much of the larger audience.
Adelman continued to extol the creativity in depicting historical facts,
issues, and problems claiming that “artists who interpret the historical past
are sometimes able to tell better or truer stories about the past.” These praises coincide seamlessly with the
general patterns gleaned from Presence of
the Past: individual interpretations of the past through a familial or – in
this case specifically – a cultural lens, as well as enabling access to larger
audiences that are genuinely engaging and not “boring” or “dull”. To the latter pattern, “Hamilton” does indeed
act as an external stimulus to prompt engagement on the part of the individual,
for Adelman asserts that the production “makes a really interesting argument,
gets the important facts right, and will get people interested in asking more
questions.” Isn’t that one of the foci of
Presence, to examine and understand
the how and why Americans engage with history?
“As a historian,” he says, “that’s more than I can ask for.” I can say with certainty that my interest in the production and the subject matter has certainly been piqued.

First of all I want to commend you Matt for an excellent blog post! I have to agree with you that my interest in the production and subject matter has also been piqued. I think that this production is an excellent idea and a great way to "introduce" the public to Alexander Hamilton. The fact that it is a rap musical helps because it is in a genre that the youth will connect with, and it will hopefully do its job in educating or piquing the interest of the public.
ReplyDeleteThrough reading "The Presence of the Past" I learned that the majority of Americans have the greatest connection with the past via their family. This concept is very foreign to me and I have a difficult time envisioning it due to the fact that I never had the opportunity to sit down and discuss the past with the older members of my family. Despite this difficulty I was able to deduce that the reason they felt most connected in this way was because it was personal and hands on. So as much as I love the idea of this musical production I am left wondering if it will have the desired effect; or if it will just be an entertaining rendition of a distant past that has no meaning or significance to them.
Alexander Hamilton is one of those important historical people that seems like you've heard of before but can't quite remember who he is beyond maybe knowing he's on the $10 bill. I even had to think about it for a few seconds to remember, but then, I never got to learn about him through people singing and dancing. Put historical facts to a rhythm and they seem to stick a lot better; it worked for everything Schoolhouse Rock covered so why not Hamilton? Not to mention that a well-received Broadway musical is going to interest more people than any book about him would.
ReplyDeleteThat said, Presence of the Past did show people ranking entertainment rather low on trustworthiness, so how much they’ll consider it an accurate portrayal of historical events might be an issue. I doubt musicals rank much higher than television and movies, but since this might be one of the only sources of information on Hamilton the problem could be mitigated. Though, even if they don’t it’s not exactly a bad thing if people feel the need to fact check what they just saw for themselves.
I personally believe that you have to make history entertaining for the public audience to want to eat it up. I think just the fact that they are portraying his life through a musical is the exactly the essence of that, I mean what’s more entertaining than a musical?...song dance and a storyline! Yet what I learned through reading The Presence of the Past as you mention here was the surprising amount of people who don’t need history to be wrapped up in entertainment to gain their interest. A large group of people are interested in what can only be described as personal history. They want to know where their family came from, what their ancestors where like, what traits they’ve past on etc. In essence I guess it really doesn’t matter what gets people hooked on history whether it be a musical or a familiar tie as long as were learning, the more likely the chance of us becoming better as a Nation overall.
ReplyDeleteCompletely agree with what Destiny said about having to make history entertaining for the masses, people are more likely to immerse themselves if their entertained. Prior to the Hamilton musical, there was a musical about Andrew Jackson, called "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson", only it was a hard rock themed musical. I had to watch clips of it for a class I took back when I was at Western Connecticut State.
ReplyDeleteHere's a clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzs0CLXiqA8
This discussion of Hamilton the musical reminds me of a movie/musical dear to my heart, 1776 the Musical (starring William Daniels aka Mr. Feeny). This Broadway musical and 1972 musical used memoirs and letters as sources for dialogue, and portrayed some of the key figures in the 2nd Continental Congress as complicated, flawed men that had to fight tooth and nail to achieve Independence.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugTBktqhcIk
As for Hamilton: An American Musical, cultural events like this are important for multiple reasons. One is simply that by existing, it catches attention of people through the news and advertisement, even those that might never see it, and spreads awareness of the subject, in this case history. We should be glad that a historical subject like this has gained presence in the cultural zeitgeist.
Without having seen the musical, it is hard for me to judge how effective "Hamilton" is as an application of public history. But this blog entry did lead me to wonder, how exactly do we evaluate how successful something is from the public history perspective? What criteria do we use? Is simply engaging the public in a historical topic or theme for a set period of time considered a success? Or should a historically themed theater production/film/museum/book aim to incite in its audience a desire to stay engaged for the long term and delve deeper into that theme/topic? Should it aim to expand or otherwise alter the audience's views on a particular topic? If so, how can we assess whether a example of public history achieves this? Can examples of public history have inaccuracies or stretched truths or give a one-sided perspective and still be considered "good"?
ReplyDeleteGreat post Matt, you're really setting the bar high for the rest of us. One of the questions raised in my mind by your post is whether there is an appreciable difference in the level of "engagement" that musicals produce in their audience compared to the more standard forms of media like film and television. As the authors of "The Presence of the Past" stated, not only are consumers of history more interested in the material when it personally concerns them (i.e. family, ethnicity, religion, etc.) but also when they feel an active sense of engagement, rather than the passivity found in classrooms. I wonder if the combination of seeing the performance live, in some ways similar to how audiences experience museums and "living history", and the repertoire of songs and musical scores which audience are encouraged to later buy and then in a sense recreate after the show, result in musicals acting as an exception to the larger pattern concerning entertainment that the book's researchers discovered?. Who's to say? Regardless, yours was a very well-written article on an interesting topic.
ReplyDeleteAs Steven stated earlier, the average person may have heard of Alexander Hamilton, but are not exactly sure what he did or how he got onto the twenty dollar bill. The play "Alexander Hamilton: An American Musical" seems as it would be a great way to keep the average person engaged in American history outside of the classroom. Which as a class we concluded this was the definition of public history, so it definitely meets that criteria.
ReplyDelete"The Presence of the Past" book informs us that most people feel more connected to history through family and holidays (P16). This play would make for a great event for families to get together and enjoy history through music and comedy. As with most historical plays, movies or shows, you need to be careful on the accuracy of that historical adaptation, since the level of trustworthiness was rather low according to the book with a mean of 5.0 (P20). At the end of the day, if it keeps people engaged or at least interested in history, then it accomplished its goal.
Fantastic job on the first blog posting Matt. This looks as it would be very entertaining, so I will try to get a chance to watch it, though I will be very critical of it I am sure.
*That would be the Ten dollar bill. Since Andrew Jackson is on the twenty. Though I have heard there are efforts to remove Jackson just like Hamilton. My mistake haha
DeleteUsing rap as a method for delivering a message about the life and times of Alexander Hamilton is a choice by the creators of the play that I can understand for our current day and age. As we discussed in class, public history is unique in its ability to be easily accessible to the people, and also, entertaining. One thing I wonder though is will this play stand the test of time. The reason I say this is because right now rap is popular but in another century or so will it be able to reach the audience as well. Something in this play's favor is the fact that there are other genres of music older than rap that people still enjoy listening to.
ReplyDeleteGreat, informative, well-written post. I think that fiction, such as films or television or even musicals, is the best way to reach the widest audience. Historical accuracy, however, isn't always prized by writers, directors, or producers. But does it have to be? Maybe it's alright as long as the viewer is inspired to learn more, to learn the "true story." In that way, even a hip-hop musical about the life of Alexander Hamilton will make people more interested in the history of their nation. Perhaps it's a good thing that "Entertainment and TV" was low on the list of trustworthy sources about history, because it's less a source of information and more a source of inspiration for further study.
ReplyDeleteThis is a good way to incorporate "Hamilton" with Presence of the past and the musical is a great way to experience history because it's something that isn't normally done. When I first started to read this post I was skeptical, thinking that a musical about Alexander Hamilton would be the last thing I would want to see. After watching the preview clip it intrigued me and I most likely would watch it.
ReplyDelete"Hamilton" is produced to draw in a demographic of people that are not normally interested in Alexander Hamilton and that's what public historians strive to do. No matter if it is historically accurate, it's catchy and entertaining. I'm sure that at least one person will leave this musical with a sparked interest in Hamilton, and that is the goal of the public historian, to engage the public in history.